Sunday, 2 January 2011

Baby Clothes Bouquet + Baby Cards


So my friend Tracy down in Christchurch is due with a baby at the end of the month and I know from when I was staying with her the things she still needed to get more of for her daughter. So I decided to give a crack at making a clothing bouquet after seeing one on Martha Stewarts Website - there is a video on youtube somewhere that shows how to make them and other similar items.
 
I had a big stash of florist tape both in green and white from a random bag of things we brought on clearance some years ago from Spotlight (they use to just bag up stuff they wanted to get rid of for a few dollars - I think we got them around the time of my sister's wedding in 2004).
 

To make your flowers you need the following basic items: 
  • Florist Tape - the type that you pull and it stretchs out and becomes takky/sticky
  • Florist Wire - I recommend a nice sturdy wire, you want one that will hold the weight of the clothes
  • Fake Flowers/Leaves - for a bit of a finishing touch, and to add depth to the bouquet
  • Clothes - all in ones, socks, teeshirts, bibs, hats, mittens, wash clothes etc.
 
It takes a bit of getting the hang of with folding the items and rolling them up, then wrapping the tape around - dont be shy with the tape especially around where the bottom of the "bud" meets the "steam" as it can sometimes pull apart. The tape IS safe for on baby clothes and regardless of if your using white or green it will not stain it.

I had a variety of socks, bibs, booties, hats, mittens, onesies, tee shirts, petal skirts, wash cloths making up my flowers for this - with a couple of pacifiers added in, I hung two wine charms off the bucket (both were from my table setting I did last year for the culinary comps). I also put in the bottom of the bucket a fleece blanket and a couple of flanette wraps. (I knew that tracy was in need of blankets, bibs and socks.

Must add that Simon did help me with the final "floral arrangement" I just couldnt get it to go how I liked without it having lots of gaps in it...but he somehow brought out some logical mathematical thing on how to do it...(I blame having a mother who teachers maths for that part..) - Im pretty happy with my first ever attempt.


I also made a couple of baby cards, one for Tracy and one for her neighbour who had twins the same time as her - I added in a little gift for her girls to be sent down with Tracy's gift.


Tracy's Card


Kayleigh's Card

0 comments: