Well today I walked down with all the other graduates at the Aotea Centre into the Auditorium, where I walked up onto the stage, was capped on my shoulder by the vice chancellor of Auckland University of Technology and I was handed over my DIPLOMA IN HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT!!
I look back at the last 2.5 yrs - I think of how my programmed leader Kate Payne said because I suffered from depression in the first few weeks of my life at AUT that I would crash and burn, and become a train wreck, that she strongly adviced I drop out there and then. Then a few weeks or so later saying how I had to pick one of the other - Work or University - a silly thing to say given I had to be working in order to actually get my Diploma it was one of the clauses in it that you had to have 300hrs work experience...! I proved her wrong ever damn time I handed in an assignment, sure I had a few extensions and a few special passes - I suffered a few deaths during my time at University, I had alot of stress I changed employers halfway through, I lost a job due to the recession and I got a new job - which Kate Payne CLEARLY was not happy with me working at the Langham in her whole little stint of trying to tell them I was wearing their uniform around University - to make things easier at work I agreed that yes I did when I hadnt...just so happened to be wearing profession clothes similar to their uniform during my training - and stated I was aware of the policies to make it all go away. (Im sorry but the only relationship you were distroying was the one YOU lacked with me and everyone else for that fact....not me distroying the University's relationship with my place of employment!! Pure jealousy there.)
I had a case of being done for abuse to another student, when really this girl was just as abusive towards me - and look where she is now.....she dropped out not long after that semester...!! She wasnt even serious or interested in Hospitality..! She was working in CLOTHING RETAIL!
And when the light at the end of the tunnel arrived finally in sight I came to a very bumpy part in my joruney where my amazing programme leader made just one last stack at me and penalising me for one of HER students copying MY assignment that i handed in before they did....perhaps he wouldnt have needed to ask for help had his lecturer done a more better job at being open, understanding and helpful towards students esp those with english as a second language and in a very intense paper which involved alot of components. I lost my A+ I had riding on that assignments and over all paper grade with thanks to my PL....it was sad to hear my lecturer was not aware of what had happened...and that none of really have been told what happened fully and just what was copied...if anything was copied at that...!! I doubt it very much so....I dont think someone like that I put my blood, sweat and tears into that report - and did really well on it...
Well you know what?? I made it...I graduated and NO ONE was going to stop me....there was no way I would give up no matter how many people doubted I would make it, I had double if not triple the support and close relationships formed from people who really saw my talents.
So hear I am - a Graduate from AUT University...it wasnt easy...but I made it! AND I deserve it! Not only that, but I did it for my SON...who I love and miss with all my heart, he gave up his life to give me a second chance, for me to be able to do this.....he was who kept me going in those dark moments when I just wanted to give up. He was who inspired me....not only that but I did it for myself and for the advancement of my career.
0 comments:
Post a Comment