Wednesday, 8 December 2010

RIP Ajith Perera

I want to pass on my condolences to Ajith Perera's family during this time for their loss of a wonderful husband, father, lecturer and friend. It saddens me deeply to hear of his sudden passing.

In 2009 I competed for the first time in the Auckland Regional Culinary Fare, Ajith was present with pupils from Whitireia Polytechnic where he taught as a lecturer - he watched me as I competed in the class of Innovative Table Setting against 3 of his students, where I had one of his co workers as a judge. When I had completed and was packing up my table setting after allowing everyone to take photos and what not, he was the one who came up to me and congratulated me on getting Gold....i thought he was just pulling my leg and told me to go check the result board - he was right. I had won Gold, and came in just as second place. He was so impressed with my table setting. I had written a blog about that day - and Ajith actually found my blog and read it, he informed me of this at the Nationals the following month, I was a little embarassed but also touched that my blog has been discovered while obviously searching for the Auckland Regional Culinary Fare 2009.

I sadly got Silver at the Nationals that year, I was put off completed with my work by his fellow co worker who was judging me in the Regionals and one of their student's family (this student is now one of my co workers ironically) - and he knew in his heart of hearts that my table setting was worthy of Gold. He saw it as a winner and gold status over what I got.

I was so over the moon seeing him last year at the Auckland Regionals, he was again unimpressed at what went down with the judging of my table setting, knew it was worthy of Gold, but again I battled with his fellow co worker from the year before as judge and she clearly had taken a personal disliking to me, and had kicked up a debate in the judges lounge. Infact so many people were shocked that I had lost out on getting Gold because of her - they all knew it was worthy of Gold, but they had to make her happy. Nationals was too easy, there wasnt much of a Competition to fight against and Ajith was thrown over the moon and so proud that I won and got Gold for my table setting.

He has always been a fan of my work, and stood by me and been such an inspiration - hearing of his passing has left a massive hole in my heart. I am bound by these memories, and while I cant imagine what it will be like next year at the Culinary Comps without him I know I have the ability if I pick to enter that he will be watching over me proud of what I do. I regret not getting any photos together with him, or of him on his own from the times I have in his company at the Comps. I am so greatful to have known you and met you Ajith.

RIP Ajith Perera.

0 comments: