Sunday, 17 April 2011

Baby Activity Play Mat



For the past week or two me and mum have been working on a project for Pebbles.

We have been making a baby play mat, that involved alot of different textures, sounds and activities.

We have alot of meterial variety for baby to feel and touch - and different noises like crackle/crinkle (we used an emergancy blanket to make the sound from - by cutting a little bit of it up to put into some of the squares) - we have a rattle, bell and squeaker.....and a mirror too. a few teething toys to play with on the sides with come off so that the whole thing can be put in the wash - the mirror also comes off too. I had fun and games trying to find a mirror for this but sadly my search didnt turnt out very well. I ended up going to the salvation army store and brought an old baby toy for $1 and pulled the mirror out of it and cleaned it with some wet wipes.

 I started out by drawing a rough sketch of what I wanted for each sqaure with ideas of fabric and textures and interactive things on it - then I googled images, cartoon images to get some cute sort of looking images - based on these images I hand drew (yes Im slightly talented in that department drawing a picture from something small and upscalling it a bit. ONLY slightly talented...) them onto paper that I outlined in black sharpie and made copies of so that I could use them as patterns to cut my fabric out from. Only pictures I didnt use in the end from what i oringinally drew for patterns were my sun and flower.

I made each square 30cmx30cms in size approx (12x12in) - and started to build my scene up out of quilting fabric, and then putting my pictures on. I cheated with my flower and brought one, and took the flower off the steam - with my mum stitching some other fabric and some crinkle under that ontop of each petal.

Here are some more photos with a bit more close up of each 1/4 of the play mat.

In total I have the following images -
  • Moon and Star (the star has a bell inside it)
  • Bear (his ears slightly crinkle)
  • House (with key rattle)
  • Duck (with a squeaker in the wing)
  • Sun (with a mirror)
  • Caterpilla
  • Fish (with a teething ring)
  • Flower (with crinkle sound petals)
  • Puppy (with a rattle in its ball)



Image 1.1


Image 1.2


Image 1.3


Image 1.4

0 comments: