Ok so Ive never had a dog at all growing up, Ive had friends who have had dogs and a neighbour - in primary school my bestest friend Hayley use to have this little fox terrier dog, named Penny....I remember her she would run around with one leg always up off the ground....Hayley's parents operate a food caravan at the Otara Fleamarkets (they still do, have been running it for YEARS) and we use to go into the caravan and get like hotdogs and stuff out for lunch and stuff....I remember sunbathing on the drive one day with her and her sister Kayla after being in the pool....and Kayla was about 3 or so....and was teasing Penny with the hotdog to which she took the whole thing on the stick and ate it...after Penny passed away they got a new dog - but I I grew distant from Hayley with going to different schools and stuff...
I always wanted a Dalmatian dog when I was a kid...I use to have an "imaginary" dog - most kids had an imaginary friend who was human - not me I had a dog....shut up man...lol...I was totally in love with them - then I suddenly went off them...I still "like" them - in terms of the relation to Fire Fighting....so if I have to have anything thats got a dalmation dog on it - it was to be fire related....if you understand that....but as I got older I got into this love for Wolves and so I wanted a Husky or a Alaskan Malamute or similar snow dog breed - only they intail ALOT of work and its a bit unfair having one of those dogs in a city that can get pretty hot....when they are use to cold places..
ANYWAY - when one of our kittens was put down my parents talked about getting a puppy for my dad....and we took Meggan to the SPCA to look at them I have photos of me and her with all these puppies....but we never got one...I always dreamed of having one and the kennel would be by the backdoor and the dog would run around the backyard free range....I made this dream come true a year ago..
There are THREE dogs whom I love to death - two of which i dont get to see anymore....one being that she isnt here anymore. Rolly, Betsy and Abby...
Rolly is Roberto's family dog....shes a Sharpei and the most coolest dog ever...I remember the first time I met Rolly, she was a puppy I cant remember how old she was, Rob probably does, but it was 4 years ago...soooo Im guessing Rolly is about 4 yrs old now or so...but my fond memories of the day I met her was hold this giant puppy cover in rolls of fat in my arms and her chewing my arm to say PUT ME DOWN PLEASE!! And her running through the hallway skidding around on the tiles after a roll of toilet paper - and if youve seen the Purex Toilet Tissuse ads you will know what the Rolly dog does on there....my second time with Rolly she didnt like me, nor did she like me the third time, that was till we had our "Bonding" moment as Rob called it when Mom asked up to take the dog for a walk when we up to the Dairy to get some smokes I think it was...we became pretty good after that....she would sleep with me and Rob alot at the holiday house....I got use to sharing the bed with her...I always remember hearing Rob's Dad asking where the dog was, to hear Mom say she was in with the Kids...I remember the munchies and our walks in Taupo and being covered head to toe in her slobber after one walk - how she ate the whole box of Hershey Kisses I got Rob for Xmas...and the whole chocolate santa of Rob's I shared with her - lol why no one informed Chocolate was bad and lethal for dogs back then I have nooooo idea..but the girl is still doing fab...and for some odd reason probably because I havent cleaned my boot out to my car I still have this giant blob of paper towels in there that was used to wipe her slobber from her mouth...

Betsy was Rob's puppy he had in Blenheim....a gorgous Hunterway X - and the inspiration for Abby....I met Betsy when I went to Blenheim for a holiday to see Rob....I was covered in love from this girl...and for this girl....knowing Rob's dedication to her and how he came to having her - I developed the same need to give this girl the best life ever that she deserved. Rob agreed to sharing her with me....and I help share the cover of Registering her...I would send her lots of packages in the mail with Food and a name tag which she lost not long after having it on...and a collar and lead so Rob could take her for a walk..I missed the two of them alot....Though at the time I didnt approve of how Rob brought her up, I know it worked in the end....and I have adapted the same style with Abby...though I havent manage to have major success...but it works most times..perhaps I should she needs a good telling off from Daddy to set her straight...and even though Betsy's time was short - I know she had the bestest life ever....and I have two fave photos of Rob with her - that shows just how much he really did love her...

Abby is my Hunterway Border Collie X puppy Ive had for a year now - and as I said Betsy was in the inspiration behind getting Abby - breedwise....(because well Sharpeis are just soooooooooo expensive!) I have learnt it isnt as easy as it looked having a dog - being around Rolly and Betsy I forgot that they had been trained and I had to start from ground up - which I thought would be dead easy and its not. But I wouldnt have gotten by the first couple of months with out Rob's help...as the months have gone on its funny the things she does that reminds me so much of Betsy....I must admit I am not a good dog owner and I have learnt they do need attention...and Ive also learnt alot about the breed I have....like the fact that they are bloody high jumpers and I saw that today when Abby manager to jump a 5 foot gate....to get to the other side to see me because my mum had shut her in the backyard...I know she can jump a 3 foot fence...its been funny watching her over the past year from this dog who wanted to be friends with the cats and ended up being attacked by them to her being the one chasing them....but its so funny when you see her jump on the couch and sit next to Sid - who will be sitting there hissing away at her while Abby just sits there tail wagging away....shes just this happy dog....and she loves people and other dogs...and I struggle with that when it comes to being serious...
When we look back to the start on the kind of dog I wanted to start with - and now having a hunterway I dont know if I would go back...with my two Hunterway X's that ive had and have....it is very hard to look at having a different breed....its also very odd thinking about what life would be like if i didnt have my dog....or life without my dog....life was strange as it was living away from Rob and Betsy.....but being away from Abby....yea...its hard....how do you do it Rob??
1 comments:
Hi Bronwyn!
I loved reading the stories about the dogs you've had over the years. They are all beautiful.
What type of dog is a Hunterway? Is it a type of Border Collie or is your Border Collie a mix ?
My Sadie is a Border Collie SOMETHING mix. lol! She was loads of work as a puppy and quite the escape artist and smart as the dickens! She's a lot more mellow now that she's nearly 7. I love her to pieces!
:) Inky Smiles!
Erin
Post a Comment