Well Ive been back at Uni a week now...kinda strange, I dont know why.. I got use to being NOT at Uni and being at work...now Im all screwed up again....with the recession our numbers have dropped....but I dont think that is fully to do with the recession its been like that since before it started getting bad....it all comes down to poor marketing and failure to forecast for the changes...
Anyway enough about work for now...Uni..!! Woop woop!! I have some pratical work....yay!! That is where I exceed the most is doing things hands on over written theory! All my studies I have gotten high grades for my practical papers - though last semester I did pretty well with my Marketing...but it was semi practical I guess if you count the whole going out to bussiness' to find info and stuff for my marketing plan...
Speaking of Marketing plans, I remember writing in mine in part of the SWOT Analysis that they (AUT) should create a new floor plan and refurbish the two restaurants....and guess what?? They have done just that, and they are looking pretty funky now - not drab and boring...lol now I wonder if they have changed the menu....I remember my lecturer saying that those with the best Marketing Plans from his class would be forwarded to the restaurants....so i dont know if that actaully happened or not....I do know that he said I was in the top 5% of that class...I would have to ask him..
Monday in class - Kitchen Operations that is, we did a whole pile of cutting, carrots and onions, different kinds of cuts, french terminology...and thursday saw us with our first service, here I was thinking we were actaully cooking for customers in the restaurant haha...but either way it was interesting...we were devided into four groups, as their are four kitchen stations in the learning kitchen each with its own stove etc etc...my group was down on member which set us back minorly to the other groups....I was set back a bit with my group not speaking or understanding english fully...or having any knowledge of cooking...I took the lead and asked who wanted to be Chef de Partie...they didnt say anything so I took the role (I had already decided I was going to be that...but I know that this is a role that needs to be rotated each lesson...but we will just see how many times i am it.. lol) and two members from the class were assigned Sous Chef by the lecturer...
It took FOUR and a HALF hours for my brigade to get their meals cooked and up....! NOT GOOD!! I had the time management all sorted out and written up and no one was listening to me...I had told them to go on their break and they didnt...They werent communicating with me on what they were doing...I will say one members was putting his hand up for me and asking me questions...which is cool...and the other member i had to ask what she was doing...I had to keep telling her to speed up....
To cut the long story short- i was congradulated on my meal being good - it had good height definition to it and my beef was cooked perfectly (everyone threw theirs all into the pan and were told off for doing it wrong and that their were stewing it - SEE Gordon Ramsay has been a good influence and inspiration on me I learnt some cooking secrets from his shows and books hehe - and from my co workers too Ok I will admit that..) - so yes..i took a photo...and Im going to be doing this with all of the meals I create in all my lessons...
Minus my team problems - I can say that this will be my only team work as their will be no group assignments this semester - YAY!! Serious last semester my groups failed and we fell apart and that in return loses you marks...and that just added to my failing Accommodations which I have to repeat next semester - i keep worring about that and I have to tell myself not to think of it - to get through this semester and not think of next semester...So I wont be graduating till 2011 now most likely...unless I can do some of my papers in Summer school...but I will cross that bridge when I get there - for now lets make it through the first Semester!
Anyway must finish off my Finacial Operations Homework...fortunately my lovely friend Dane is a graduate from AKL Uni, and is an accountant for a big company in the city so I can ask him questions when Im stuck with my accounting work..! Thank you Dane for clearing up for me the whole profit and loss bit...I shall take note of that in my book...
Right - Balance Statement Equation time now!! Cant believe Im doing my homework!

0 comments:
Post a Comment