Wednesday, 18 June 2008

Why I scrapbook - and the early days.

Well this is inspired after reading Debby's blog last night (fellow fiskateer) of how she started scrapbooking...which is where this brings me to this whole entry....why I scrapbook and my early scrapbook. And I just went into my room and pulled out all my books I have from thr past 22 yrs I have that i guess in some way were my early day scrapbooks. And I do have a layout in one of my albums that has my story as to why I scrapbook in it...

So looking back through the years and books I found, my first one would be my book my mum started when i was born of all my birthday cards. It has my card from the hospital bassinet, and the news paper clippings with my birth notices, and I later added in a stamp from my first xmas, and the two toys I got given when I was born - they were only small teddies...and a couple of photos from the hospital. It started out with all the cards mum got from when I was born and then from my 1st birthday up to my 20th - and ive run out of room to stick them all in now. When i turnt 21 i got a special book form y 21st that I stuck my cards in and have yet to print photos off and put in, but its also got message from everyone that came in it. My 21st was a hard time considering I had a miscarraige the day after my 21st birthday.

Then as the years went on my next scrapbook was when Princess Diana was killed in 1997. I have two scrapbooks with picstures of her in them, and I never knew this lady, I remember the day it happened - it was back when i was being confirmed a catholic (which of course I know longer follow that path) - and I was so moved and touched and effected by this lady's death that I ended up making these albums. I remember taping her funeral it took two tapes to record it on and I watched it with my dad but eventually fell asleep on him...I eventaully got over it and moved on...and never finished fulling in the second scrapbook that I started with pics of her. 11 yrs later I think its horrible and sad that the media and stuff has to still drag her name through the mud - why cant they just let her rest in peace??

From here when i started intermediate we had these friendship books....and come high school I offiically made a proper one. Friendship books were a big no no at school and they had a banned on them, i had my confisacted a number of times through the years in high school. My mother would go mental at the school for it because of the fact I had photos in it some of them were old ones of my father as a young boy. But these books were meant to where you had pages with questions and basic statistics and details of your friends that they would full in. Mine grew into that and move..its became "My Book" everyone in class would look through it...

Also while I was in high school I had a big thing for Celebs with multiple celeb crushes...and addictions for programmes. I created a book with collages of these celebs and programme - from out of all my TVHits and SmashHits Maggies I use to always get...I eventually grew out of that once I left high school. I had pulled this book out a few months back to have a perve over my page of Heath Ledger back when he passed away. That day was a sad day....

After all of that I eventually got to my real scrapbooking. In 2004 my sister got married and my mum had seen stuff on scrapbooking and thought it would make a good present for my sister, she had gotten a book out of the library and we went to spotlight and got some paper and stickers and I waited like a year to get photos from my sister of her wedding and to actually see the photos from it too. And from there it just grew. Its amazing looking at how much my stlye has changed in the past 3 years. I remember when Rob started scrapbooking, he was inspired by me - and after seeing his work he did...I was blown away! And in turn this was when I changed my sytle. I started using different products, and I started adding more memorabilia on my pages, and I learnt new techniques, I have become more adventurous and scrap way out of the box now. I scrap everything the good the bad the pretty and the ugly...Because these things are a part of who I am. they were part of my life.

And if you ask my why I scrapbook - its so I can tell my story to those after me. So that if anything extreme happened like I was to lose my memory - there are these things there to help connect those parts of my brain back together. And so my family in the future arent left in the dark about who I am - Like I am presently left in the dark about who I am and where my late Poppa's family came from and who they are...

1 comments:

michelle said...

I finally made it here to check you out tonight. I just love the early days it was very cool to see how much you have grown and changed over the years. I love those cute pictures of the little on that one book! She was adorable and still is!